Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Goldie Locks Got Her Hair Cut!!!!!

One of the pet names I have called my seven year old daughter since she was tiny is Goldie Locks. 

Well, Goldie Locks gave up her hair last Friday June 14th.  Since the new Great Clips of Connersville had its grand opening on Friday and one of my closest childhood friends, Stephanie Amis, is the manager I decided that would be the perfect time and place for my daughter, Rebekah Brumfield, to donate her hair to Locks For Love.

THE golden locks!

Little did we know Rebekah would also wind up being their first customer in the store! We all remarked how this was an excellent way to open a new business – with heartfelt good will and lots of love. I am also touched that my good childhood friend, Stephanie, is one of my daughter’s heroes. Rebekah would love to be a hairstylist like Stephanie when she grows up.

Rebekah and her mentor Stephanie Amis, Great Clips Manager

This is not the first time a member of my family has decided to do this. In February of 2012 my twenty-four year old son, William Massanet, donated his hair in St. Louis to Locks for Love. He had been growing his hair out for that purpose for about 18 months. He had said that the last few months were the worst. He felt like a wild animal with hair that long. By the way, he has been growing it out ever since with the possibility of donating it to Locks For Love once again.

William about to get his long curly locks "Cut For Kids" 



William after all the hair came off in February 2012

Rebekah’s hair has been long for about five years. When she remembered the trouble it was to have such long hair during her swimming lessons at the park pool last year she did not want to repeat it all this year. So, she asked if she could get her hair cut like one of her favorite book characters – Judy Moody.

When I looked at her hair I decided it probably was long enough for donation to Locks For Love if she wanted to do that. She enthusiastically agreed. Rebekah has repeatedly said she would like to give her hair to a child that was going through chemotherapy and had lost their own.

Rebekah knows what it feels like to be sick. She was premature at birth, being born a full six weeks early. At the age of two years she started developing respiratory infections and pneumonia repeatedly. After five years of medications, breathing treatments, and surgery she is now a basically healthy little girl with occasional allergies.


Since I have been growing my hair out for an historic hair style for the Bicentennial Celebration my own hair is getting quite long. Stephanie asked me if I was going to donate my hair too. Right now I have chickened out, but I thought that would be great for an After The Bicentennial Celebration Celebration. My children are such an inspiration in their daily lives, and now with their donations, that I am pretty sure I will soon follow their examples. 

No comments:

Post a Comment