Wednesday, January 2, 2013

OH, Suzanna! Baby Names to Consider in the New Year

As with any new year the life style sections of magazines (online and in print) are flooded with trends from the last year and projecting forecasts onto the new year's definition of trendy. I have been bombarded with baby names every where I turn.

Anyone who has been an expecting parent knows how frustrating it can be to choose a name for the baby. When I was about 13 I was so tired of hearing the discussion about my niece's possible names that I announced that I would from that point on call "The Baby" Hedwig Harrison, unless a name was decided on BEFORE the birth. Hedwig was a popular Old German name and paired with Harrison it had a nice ring to it. I was hoping this would shock the expecting parents into action. Apparently it did because we have a Jennifer in the family, no Hedwig.

I had a brother-in-law that was so very tired of the discussion that he told his wife that until she picked a name for "The Baby" he would be calling it "Lemonjello." Lemon Jello was his favorite treat. So you see it can produce some extreme results.



There is a rumor that my parents were kicking around the name "Paladin" for one of my brothers. This was supposedly after the western television serial of the time - "Have Gun Will Travel." I am certain this was a joke between my parents, surely not a real consideration. Given that it is old French for one who is a military leader this would have been a fitting name for him as he had a long military career.



My name has always puzzled me. The only claim to fame I knew of it having was of the old southern song, you know it - "OH, Suzanna, don't you cry for me!" and so forth. Then when I was older a Jewish client told me that my name was from the Bible. I could not find it any where. For years I searched and decided he was pulling my leg. Then a seminary student assured me that yes it has been up for discussion a couple of stories concerning the Suzanna/ Shoshana character and they were both in the book of Daniel and not something most Protestants wanted in their Bible. I will leave that up to you to research on your own. Then in the last few years I have heard that there was a widow woman in the New Testament that helped to bank roll Jesus and the Disciples' ministry. That made me feel better, even if I could not substantiate the truth from fiction on the Suzanna subject. Silly how the meaning or the connotation of a name can make you feel about yourself. But, thankfully I have had the attitude most of my life that I am not like any other and so I don't base my life on other namesakes lives.

Just being made aware of a case where a 15 year old Icelandic girl is fighting for the legal right to keep her own given name of Blaer (meaning "light breeze" in Icelandic.) It seems that a few countries have a Personal Names Register limiting the names one can attach to their offspring. READ STORY HERE.

So, anyway I had the fortune to stop by the Rushville Public Library recently and stumble across a book: "Indiana Territorial Pioneer Records 1801 - 1815" Compiled by Charles M. Franklin. Mr. Franklin's preface to the book made me laugh out loud AT THE LIBRARY! Shame on me! His reason for compiling this information was to fill the gap of records from around the 1732 Vincennes fur traders to the first Federal Census in 1820. He says: "In this volume will be found 64 lists of early Indiana residents that were voting, fighting and complaining." Not much has changed in 200 years!

In the Miscellaneous  section on page 79 was a simple list:

Miamis In 1814

Pecon-ah
Lapassine or Ashenonquoh
Osage
Na toweesa
Mesheke Cata - or Big Man
Sana mahhonga - Stone Eater (Pulling Stone)
Neshe peh tah - Double Tooth
Me toosania- Indian
Chequia - Poor Racoon
Wapepecheka
Chingo maga Eboo - Owl
Ke we se Kong - Cicada Traveling
Wapascebanah -White Racoon
Che ke me Tine - Turtle's Brother
Pocond oqua - Crooked
Showilingashua- Open Hand
Okawea - Porcupine
Shaw-a-noe
Mawansa- Young Wolf
M____wawa - Wounded
Sangwe comya- Buffalo
Pequia- George
Krelswa- Sun
Wansepea- Sunrise
Augatoka- Pile of Wood

These were the names of the Miami Indians living in the east and south of what we call Indiana, at that time, that would consent to give their names for a count. I wonder how many of those are real names. "Yeah, my name is Pequia." "What does that mean?" "George." "Ok."

1814. In Indiana. Holy cow! It was surely information that was gathered in 1813 before it was recorded in local government records in 1814. That was 200 years ago. Our nation is not so new any more is it?

Why can't we have some good old fashioned made up Indian names for new baby names? That would be pretty cool. I propose that parents get a bit more creative and historically correct (even if the veracity of this account can not be substantiated)! If they were made up names then that meant that our Hoosier forebears had a sense of sass that I kinda like!

Speaking of sass, I think we should use our rights to name our children whatever crazy thing we want. I do however suggest that you impart to your dear child some moniker that has some meaning for you, the child, or the family. It is like a tattoo: you will have it for the rest of your life so it better be a good one. (I used to beg my kindergarten teacher to let me use "Sue" instead of Suzanna, she rightly did not relent. She told me one day I would like it and I should get used to it as a young girl, since I would have it for the rest of my life.)

A book I would like to have one day....


http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?ItemId=17071


P.S. The use of "forebears" I do not like. It makes it sound as if my family were raised by bears. Well, maybe that is where my sister gets the saying "DO NOT POKE THE BEAR!" when she wants me to leave her alone.....

-Suzanna

No comments:

Post a Comment